Live Your Fantastic Life On A Budget
I am always bursting with cheap, cheerful, inspirational ways to live on next to nothing after finding myself homeless and penniless in 2005. The hardest part about losing everything very quickly, for me it was with no warning, overnight almost, is adjusting your lifestyle to meet your new means before you literally go under.
Of course anyone can exist without money. Adjusting to my new social status was a bit tricky in the beginning. Status anxiety is a very real problem for many people trying to keep up with the Jones. You learn when you don't have anything people treat you differently if you allow them to but the upshot of this you immediately cultivate empathy for others, a very attractive quality often in short supply amongst the well heeled.
Something I found less challenging thanks of my basic start in life, was accepting what had happened. I knew I had to just get on with it. I already had picked up by osmosis on a serious budget skills from my Glaswegain mother. With her common sense ringing in my ears it was straight forward for me to give up my addictions, I could no longer afford them if I wanted to survive. All the other things I learned along the way. Here's how I rebuilt my life and style without money.
Here are 7 personal free tips that work on how I found ways to live my fantastic life on a shoestring budget.
1. You want to go on holiday but you are broke? Travel for free. Why not offer your passion/hobby i.e. flower arranging, photography, poetry and get yourself hired by a cruise liner like Fred Olson who offer work shops for on board passengers to enjoy. You get a free cabin and food in return for your expertise and a fab holiday in between. Swapping services with others is the perfect way to get what you need without money.
2. Want to lose weight by exercising but cannot afford the gym? Doing 30 minutes of moderate exercise 5 times a week will boost your general health and help you lose weight. Find something you enjoy and fit it into your everyday lifestyle like walking, jogging, cycling, swimming or dancing in front of the TV.
3. Want to get out and meet people but have no money to be sociable? Why not volunteer your services for a local charity and feel good at the same time make new friends who will open more doors for you.
4. Want something new to wear but you are broke? Try holding a clothes swap party for your friends and neighbours and get a brand new look without spending a penny.
5. Never talk about money, those who have it never mention how much things cost.
6. Think happy, think secure, think rich. Even if you haven't got a penny to your name you must still think with the confidence and security of a millionaire. No one knows how much or how little you have except you. Worry and stress is absolutely no use in a crisis.
7. Meditation will get you into the moment where you rarely need money.
When you jump off a yacht into the ocean, it's not the size of the boat that determines how refreshing the water is.
Photo by: Paladini Mauro Unsplash